Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Road, Great Saughall CH1 6EN

By Christopher Hill

Saughall Primitive Methodist chapel in the Chester circuit was opened on January 15th 1832. The event is described by William Holt in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

Opening services were taken by Brothers Wedgwood & Bateman.

The new chapel which measured 19' 6" (w) x 24'(l) x 12' (h) was (as so many chapels were described) "an ornament to the village" and early congregations were good.

On the 1872 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map, Suaghall Primitive Methodist chapel is marked off Church Road, complete with grave yard. On the 1961 map it is marked Ebenezer Methodist church and the society is still active in 2017.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 271


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 30/08/2017.