Sharpenhoe Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Sharpenhoe Primitive Methodist Chapel' page

Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

Sharpenhoe is a hamlet in the Bedfordshire parish of Streatley. The hamlet is at the foot of the hills known as Sharpenhoe Clappers, part of the Chiltern Hills and in the care of The National Trust. 

The foundation stone of Sharpenhoe PM chapel was laid on 6 September 1858 by Mr G Hunt of Luton. A report in The Luton Times noted how some of the residents of Sharpenhoe had wanted a place of worship for a long time, but had been unable to find a suitable piece of land. However, ‘after many prayers, doubts and fears, God granted them their hearts desire by pointing to Wm Greaves, Esq, Baptist, Hitchin’ who donated the land. The stone laying raised £12 1s 0d towards the building of the chapel. 

The Chapel wasn’t registered for worship until 3 January 1861. Thomas Huckle of Luton, bonnet manufacturer (trustee) made the registration. When in 1879 Primitive Methodism in Luton was divided into two Circuits, Sharpenhoe became part of Luton I Circuit. In 1933 following Methodist Union, Sharpenhoe became part of the High Town Circuit. The Luton Times and Advertiser of 18 January 1862 noted that Revival Services were held in Sharpenhoe Chapel, ‘very earnest exhortations have been given by young men from Dunstable and other friends.’ 

The Chapel was listed in the 1908 Places of Religious Worship and evidence of chapel life includes a Missionary Service held in 1909. The licence for worship was cancelled on 8 September 1964 and the Chapel is now a private house. 

References and Sources 

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch 

The Luton Times - 11 September 1858 

Luton Times and Advertiser – 18 January 1862, 17 December 1909

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service Community Archives website

This page was added by Tim Banks on 31/12/2013.
Comments about this page

The Bedfordshire Times and Independent reported on 9 April 1915 that Sharpenhoe PM chapel 'was re-opened on Easter Sunday having been closed for renovation.'

By Tim Banks
On 18/03/2015

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.