Sheep Lane Primitive Methodist

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Sheep Lane Primitive Methodist' page

Potsgrove, Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

Sheep Lane is a hamlet in the parish of Potsgrove lying on the road from Watling Street to Woburn. Now only a few houses and a pub remain from what was a sizeable community that included 3 chapels and a school.

 

The 1851 Ecclesiastical Census includes a return for a Potsgrove Primitive Methodist congregation made by Thomas Green, Steward, Labourer, Sheep Lane. The return states that there were 50 sittings. On Census day there was an evening service when the attendance was 60.

 

Registration for worship in a ‘Dwelling house and premises’ occupied by Thomas Green was made on between November 1849 and January 1850 by William Wigley of Aylesbury’ As far as is known, a purpose built chapel was never constructed in Sheep Lane.

 

Sources and References

The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website

This page was added by Tim Banks on 01/03/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.