Shefford Wantage Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Shefford Wantage Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Shefford Wantage Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1990

location of former Great Shefford Primitive Methodist chapel

Wantage Road Great Shefford HUNGERFORD RG17 7DA

By Christopher Hill

The first Primitive Methodist chapel in Shefford was known as Russell Ride Memorial and was opened around 1830.  It was named after two leaders of the Berkshire mission - John Ride and Thomas Russell.

It was replaced in 1905 by the chapel in Wantage Road.  This served until around 1980 and at the time of Keith Guyler's picture was used as a garage. Although its location is clearly marked on the 1947 Ordnance Survey map and the garage is still there, the building has disappeared.  Can anyone confirm what happened?

The chapels were in West Shefford which is also known as Great Shefford - because, surprisingly, it is bigger than East or Little Shefford.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/08/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.