Shildon Primitive Methodist Church, Church Street

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Shildon Primitive Methodist Church, Church Street' page

postcard belonging to Steven Wild

Photo:postmark 1904

postmark 1904

Steven Wild

Photo:postmark 1915

postmark 1915

Steven Wild

Co. Durham

This Chapel in Church Street has now been demolished. There was also a Primitive Methodist Church in St John's Road, New Shildon. The PM Church in the bottom postcard only has one entrance door. Could this be the St John's Road Chapel, not Church Street?

The 1835 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by W Towler of the opening of Shildon Primitive Methodist chapel.  Opening services took place on May 11th 1834 and the chapel is described as a "plain substantial stone building".  The Society had 40 members.

Nineteen years later, the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1853 contains a brief note by Thomas Russell of the re-opening of Old Shildon chapel. The chapel had never been painted and now needed repair. The sermon at the re-opening service on September 4th was preached by Robert Clapham of Yarm; two souls were converted. 


Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 p.144

Primitive Methodist magazine November 1853 p.687


This page was added by Jill Barber on 14/01/2016.
Comments about this page

Is the Old Shildon Primitive Methodist chapel referred to in re-opening note in the 1853 November Primitive Methodist magazine the same chapel as this chapel in Church Street?

By Christopher Hill
On 28/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.