Silsoe Primitive Methodist

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Silsoe Primitive Methodist' page

Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

Situated between Bedford and Luton, the village of Silsoe is now bypassed by the A6.

A dwelling house in the occupation of Jacob Swannell was registered for PM worship by Edward Bishop, 6 Adelaide Square, Bedford, minister on 27 February 1861. In 1856 Swannell had been occupying a cottage in West End (the middle of the cottages illustrated).

However, the Bedfordshire Community Archives page on PM in Silsoe notes that previous attempts to establish a Methodist presence in Silsoe had been unsuccessful due to opposition from the Wrest Park estate. The Silsoe PM did not prosper and the registration for worship was cancelled on 29 August 1894.

A footnote is that in 1995, the musical Jubilate was performed in the gardens of Wrest Park organised by Rob Frost and his team.

 

Sources and References

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

Bedfordshire Community Archives

This page was added by Tim Banks on 29/09/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.