Sleaford Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1841 Sleaford Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

1841 Sleaford Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of 1841 Sleaford Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel

West Gate Sleaford NG34 7PU

By Christopher Hill

The first Sleaford Westgate Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1841 and was west of the Marquis of Granby. Keith Guyler's notes with his photograph say "S School 1835". At the time of his photograph it is two houses.

There is an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of the chapel on November 8th 1840. The description is transcribed below.

The replacement 1907 chapel was built opposite the first chapel and had a manse at the back. It was demolished in 1964 and a telephone exchange built on the site.

location 1841 chapel: 065458

location 1907 chapel: 064458


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1841 page 129-130

 

Downloads

Opening of Sleaford chapel
Opening of Sleaford chapel (76k)
Primitive Methodist magazine 1841 p129-30 transcribed by David Tonks

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 24/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.