Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire' page
Photo:Russell Road PM Mission Hall built in 1887

Russell Road PM Mission Hall built in 1887

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Southport (Russell Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel Lancashire' page
Photo:High Park Primitive Methodist chapel, Southport.  When the Primitive Methodist Conference visited Southport in 1909, the Conference Handbook declared that "At High Park there is a splendid suite of buildings and a vigorous centre of Christian labour."  The picture in the Handbook which is labelled High Park Primitive Methodist chapel shows the building which in Google Street View in 2009 is called Russell Road Methodist church, located at the junction of Russell Road and Newton Street.  It is still offering weekly services in 2016 (PR9 7RA)

High Park Primitive Methodist chapel, Southport. When the Primitive Methodist Conference visited Southport in 1909, the Conference Handbook declared that "At High Park there is a splendid suite of buildings and a vigorous centre of Christian labour." The picture in the Handbook which is labelled High Park Primitive Methodist chapel shows the building which in Google Street View in 2009 is called Russell Road Methodist church, located at the junction of Russell Road and Newton Street. It is still offering weekly services in 2016 (PR9 7RA)

Englesea Brook Museumof Primitive Methodism

The building was opened in April 1892

Before 1892 the Russell Road area of Southport had United, Independent and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. The 'Prims' were not content with this and decided to build their own. In 1887 a Mission Hall was erected and in 1892 the present chapel was built in front of it and incorporating it into the structure. A stone in the building has a date of 1900?  In 2015 the Mission Hall can be identified by the change in the brick work. The more recent part of the chapel was built of Accrington brick and cost £1000. It is the only Methodist chapel remaining in the area but in 2015 it is not known if it is still open for worship.

Acknowledgment

'Dissenters of Every Description' - The extraordinary story of Southport's non-conformist churches -by Geoffrey Ellis 

Photos taken June 2015

OS Map Ref:108:SD363173

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 05/07/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.