St Austell Downs Primitive Methodist chapel

camp meetings on the wrestling downs

By Christopher Hill

St Austell Downs is "a large and populous neighbourhood about three quarters of a mile east of St Austell". They were known as the “Wrestling Downs” where the annual wrestling matches took place at the parish wakes - and evangelistic camp meetings held by the Primitive Methodists. St Austell Downs Primitive Methodist society and chapel dates back to the 1820s, but in 1859 they opened a new, larger chapel. 

The foundation stone was laid in August 1858 by S Kernick and the opening services took place from MArch 27th 1859. Speakers at the ceremonies included Rev Collier (Wesleyan), CG Honor, Isaac White, Mr Prescot, Rev W Gilbert, Mr Bate and Mr Hodge. There were tea meetings at both the stone laying and the actual opening. Indeed, the day of the opening started with a very well attended 6:00am. prayer meeting.

The occasions are described by Isaac White in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

Where was the chapel and what happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine June 1859 page 369

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 20/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.