St Blazey Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former St Blazey Ebenezer Primitive Methodist chapel

Station Road St Blazey PL24 2NF

By Christopher Hill

The laying of the foundation stone at St Blazey Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded by J Bennetts in the Primitive Methodist magazine of October 1860.  The old chapel had become too small and dilapidated so they decided to build anew. The new chapel was planned to be 54' x 38' and 22' high.

On May 20th 1860 J Hicks (Lostwithiel) laid the foundation stone. Preachers at the occasion and following tea meeting included J Pithouse (Liskeard) and Messrs, Broadway, Bennetts, Harry, Rich and Rackham.

Cornwall County records tell us that the chapel, called Ebenezer, was first built between 1836 and 1840 on the site of a pre-1832 Mission Hall. It was  rebuilt in 1860 and the late 19th century and demolished 1992. The rear of the site is shown on Street View as in use by a funeral director.

There is a photograph of the later building here.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 pages 621-622

Cornwall Record Office accessed online February 8th 2018 at:   https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/28970126/st-blazey_red1.pdf

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.