Wingate Station Town (Millbank Terrace) Primitive Methodist Chapel Co. Durham

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Wingate Station Town (Millbank Terrace) Primitive Methodist Chapel Co. Durham' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Wingate Station Town (Millbank Terrace) Primitive Methodist Chapel Co. Durham' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Wingate Station Town (Millbank Terrace) Primitive Methodist Chapel Co. Durham' page

The building of this chapel began in 1903 and completed in 1904

This was not the first Primitive Methodist chapel to be built in Station Town. The first (date unknown) was built in Church Street. Unfortunately it was burnt down after being set on fire by the spark from a railway engine. The 1904 chapel was then built in Station Terrace and today is the only chapel in the town. It is still open for worship in 2016.

Station Town takes its name as one would expect from the station built at the south end of Wingate. The station was built in the early 1900s but is now closed. The people here earned their living as miners at the local colliery. Life centred round the chapel and the Temperance Hall.  

Photos taken September 2013

OS Map Ref:93:NZ406363

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 22/06/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.