Stoke Golding Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Stoke Golding Primitive Methodist chapel

Station Road, Stoke Golding CV13 6EZ

By Christopher Hill

The 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that at the time Stoke Golding was  village of 600 people. It was missioned early in the development of Primitive Methodism then re-missioned by preaching in the street.  Around 1855 John Moxon gave a plot of land for a chapel - needed then because they had just been ejected from their previous meeting house.

The chapel was 8 yards by 6 yards with a board floor and cast iron windows. It opened from December 13th 1857 by John Moxon, Rev T Johnson (Independent), D Smith and Thomas Roberts. Collections were good considering "the distressed state of trade". They raised £37 8s. towards the £100 cost.

Donors and collectors included Mrs Frith and her kind daughters, Mrs Harris and Mr Moxon. Mr Moxon had also provided a chapel at a cost of £95 near his own farm, 1.5 miles from Hinkley, where there was a society of 9 members, good congregations and a small Sunday school.

Within a couple of years, J Shaw tells us that they closed the chapel for thorough cleaning, repainting and the erection of an ornamental palisade in front of the building.  They also paid off the £8 owed to the lawyer who drew up the deed of conveyance for the chapel in the first place. The magazine editor scolded them for not paying that debt off earlier.

As the society grew the chapel was sold and a new one on Main Street, at the back of the present Church, was opened in October 1905. As it acted as both a Sunday school and a church, in 1933 the present church building was  opened in front of the 1905 schoolroom.

The Stoke Golding website tells us that "After the sale of the Station Road building many uses were made of it. Ladies met during the First World War years to knit comforts for the troops, and it became known as the Womens Hall. That faded name can still be seen today on its wall. Latterly it was used by the Gardening and Allotments Society as a store before being sold."

On Google Street View in 2012 it appears to be in good condition with a freshly painted front door, although its use is not clear.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1858 p.180

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1859 p.631

Stoke Golding Village website accessed April 19th 2017 at https://www.stokegolding.co.uk/history/churches/

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 19/04/2017.
Comments about this page

Two years after the chapel was opened they closed it for improvement work, described in the Primitive Methodist magazine in 1859.

By Christopher Hill
On 06/11/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.