Stourport on Severn Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Stourport Primitive Methodist chapel

Lickhill Rd, Stourport-on-Severn DY13 8SA

By Christopher Hill

Joseph Hutching writes about the opening of Stourport on Severn Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine.

"Stourport is a market town, four miles from Kidderminster, containing a population from 4,000 to 5,000, with only one church and a Wesleyan chapel. We have had preaching here about thirty years, in a back street - a low, damp, and uncomfortable place, which greatly impeded our progress.

We have at length obtained 600 yards of land, in an excellent situation, on which we have built a good chapel, vestry, and house, leaving sufficient land on which to build a school-room. The chapel is built of brick, covered with slate; it has six circular windows, 11 feet high and 5 feet wide, the two front ones of stained glass. It stands fourteen feet from the road, and is enclosed by a wall and palisades, which give it a respectable appearance. The building is 45 feet long, 28 feet wide, and 24 feet from the floor to the ceiling. It has two galleries, is well ventilated, and will comfortably seat 500 persons. "

Opening services, with the obligatory tea meeting, started on Sunday March 16th 1856. Preachers included Rev. Philip Pugh, James Cautherington (both of Dudley), Revs. W. Bailey (Baptist minister), of Bewdley, J. Hutchings, R. Jones, Rev. John Mills (Baptist minister), of Kidderminster, Dr. Melson, of Birmingham and  Rev. D. K. Shoebotham (Independent minister), from Dudley.  Particular donations came from John Baldwin and John Rice.

In 2016 the building still exists and is used by Jehovah's witnesses.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine May 1856 p.309

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 28/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.