Stroud Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Stroud Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Stroud Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1989

former Stroud Green Primitive Methodist chapel

Greenham Road, Stroud Green, NEWBURY RG14 7HX

By Christopher Hill

Stroud Green Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1874 and was deconsecrated and converted into a distinctive private house in 1989.  The society amalgamated with Northbrook St Wesleyans.

Is Stroud Green the same place as Stroud Common? The Primitive Methodist Magazine for October 1853 pp.617-618 contains an account by George Waite of the opening of Stroud Common Primitive Methodist chapel in the Buriton mission of Newbury circuit.

It was first missioned ten or twelve years previously "amidst raging persecution" and a piece of copyhold land was obtained by Mr Waite and William Heath from John Berry. The new chapel was 18' x 22' and 11' high to the ceiling, built of flint with stuccoed walls both inside and out.

It was opened on 24th July 1853 with a tea meeting in Mr Vick's barn. Sermons were preached by John Knight, W Isaac (Independent), WH Whittington and Messrs Outridge, Vick, Rust and Waite. The total cost was £86, of which £20 was raised in opening collections, £50 borrowed on a note of hand, leaving £16 to be raised.

I am unable to find any references to Stroud Common in the Newbury District and a common and a green are similar but different ... ...


Reference (Stroud Common)

Primitive Methodist Magazine October 1853 pp.617-618

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 01/08/2015.
Comments about this page

Is Stroud Common the same place as Stroud Green in the Newbury circuit or were these two different chapels?   am unable to find any references to a place called Stroud Common in the Newbury District and a common and a green are similar but different ... ...  

Can anyone help?

By Christopher Hill
On 27/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.