Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo:1838 Sutton on the Hill Primitive Methodist chapel as it was in 1987

1838 Sutton on the Hill Primitive Methodist chapel as it was in 1987

Keith Guyler 1987

Commonpiece Lane/Back Lane, Sutton-on-the-Hill, Derbyshire

By Linda Knight

Recently, on our trip to Mow Cop we were shown this lovely PM chapel that was sold by auction.  Hope it might be restored to its former glory.  Our local guide informed us that the corner that the chapel sits on is locally known as 'Ranter's Corner'.

This page was added by Linda Knight on 21/08/2012.
Comments about this page

Sadly our lovely chapel is deteriorating after being sold. We also had also hoped that it might be restored.

By Joan Lennard
On 12/10/2012

In the 1820's Sutton-on-the Hill was one of thirty plus societies on the Burton plan, and the Burton Quarterly minutes for 1824 decreed

In 1826 Charles Bull of Common Piece farm secured a dissenters' licence, which allowed meetings to be held there till the opening of the chapel in 1838.

In the 1851 religious census Sutton declared an average Sunday congregation over the previous year of 130, with on the 30th March, the census day, a morning congregation of 19, an afternoon one of 100, and an evening one of 136.

The chapel was largely renovated in 1895.

In 1899 it left the former Burton P.M. circuit to become part of the Burton Parker Street circuit, and in 1966 the then Dove Valley circuit based on Uttoxeter.

By David Leese
On 30/01/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.