Syston Primitive Methodist Church (Leics)

Photo:First chapel

First chapel

Ray Young

Photo:Easter services handbill 1881

Easter services handbill 1881

Ray young

First Church

By Ray Young

The first Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1836 in what was then Cramp Lane (now School Street).In 1818  George Handford, a local preacher of Sileby, and later the President of the first Conference in Hull  missioned Syston starting out with 26 persons which shrank to six by the time he preached. There was an altercation between Mr Handford, a clergyman, a lawyer and a 'gentleman'. With the clergyman he discussed doctrine, with the lawyer law, and good manners with the gentleman, and as a result of this they withdrew and left him to preach, and then he and his loyal supporters sang down the village street. 

By 1836 there were enough members to build a chapel and by 1887 newer larger premises were needed.This first chapel was converted into two cottages and was demolished in 1980

This page was added by Ray Young on 21/06/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.