Theddlethorpe St Helen Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1852 Theddlethorpe St Helen Primitive Methodist chapel

1852 Theddlethorpe St Helen Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

location of Theddlethorpe St Helen Primitive Methodist chapel

Saltfleet Road, Theddlethorpe, Mablethorpe LN12 1NS

By Christopher Hill

The first Theddlethorpe St Helen Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1835. It stood on an exposed sea bank and was difficult for people to access, but in time it became too small for the society and a replacement  chapel was opened in 1852 with a Sunday school added in 1888. The first chapel became a doctor's surgery

The new chapel measured 28' square and 15' high to the wall plate.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for August 1852 contains an account by Hugh Campbell of the opening of the chapel on 23rd May 1852 with sermons from J North of Grimsby and W. Briggs of Hogthorpe.  A successful tea meeting was held the following day.

The last service was held in the chapel at Christmas 2003 and it was then converted into a private house.

location of the 1835 chapel: 478889


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine August 1852 498-499

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/09/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.