Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane Chapel (Primitive Methodist), Lincolnshire

By Raymond E.O.Ella

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following information relating to this chapel:

The chapel was built in 1860, and closed in 1938.

The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated:

  • Barton on Humber Primitive Methodist Circuit 1860-1932
  • Barton on Humber Queen Street Methodist Circuit 1932-1938

Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/H/4/1: Sunday School Account Book, 1915-c.1932.

Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/D: Trustees, Sunday School, Chapel Registration & Deeds. 

Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/E/7/1: Sale of Chapel, etc., 3 items, 1947.

Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/C/2/1: Trust Account Book, 1859-1930s. Includes a list of Trustees, 1859-1898.

Ref. Meth/C/Thornton Curtis, Thornton Lane/G/2/1: Society Steward's Account Book, 1920-1930s.

Other documents.

Location of PM Chapel, Thornton Curtis, Lincolnshire:

It is cited on a 6 inch O.S. Map year 1886. However, Thornton Lane would now be Station Road. The PM Chapel was not in the small village centre and one reason may be that apart from that small hamlet the rural farmers and families would have formed a larger part of the congregation. This was typical in rural areas and some PM Chapels today may seem to be remote now.  

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 29/12/2017.
Comments about this page

The opening of the chapel at Thornton is described by T Kendall in the Primitive Methodist magazine on May 1860 (page 299).

The new chapel measured 27' 6" x 21' and cost £106 of which they had raised £65 by the time of opening.  They borrowed the rest at 4.5%.  

Speakers at the opening on January 1st 1860 and tea for 120 in the Wesleyan schoolroom were Revs H Clark (Hull), W Sanderson, T Kendall, J Austerbury and W Jones (Driffield).

By Christopher Hill
On 15/01/2018