Thorpe Hesley Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Thorpe Hesley Primitive Methodist chapel

Heslow Grove Thorpe Hesley Rotherham S61 2PQ

By Christopher Hill

The opening of Thorpe Hesley Primitive Methodist chapel was described by William Cutts in the Primitive Methodist magazine.  The foundation stone was laid by  James Sheldon, with sermons by W Cutts and C Lace.  Opening celebrations started on November 25th 1859 and were conducted by Rev T Greenbury, R Parks, R Baxter and G Chambers.

The cause was established by Lister Holiday and met in Earl Fitzwilliam's schoolroom for a number of years, before they were able to lease a site from the Duke of Norfolk for the new chapel.  Charles Burgin played a key role in the project to build the chapel, which seated around 360 and measured 14 yards x 13 yards.

Zion Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 maps from 1892 until 1935. On the 1957 map it is simply labelled "Hall".  By 1983 Heslow Grove has given direct access to it; previously it was away from road access.

On Google Street View in 2011 what is probably the chapel is still there, although its use is not clear.  It still carries an inscribed tabled, although illegible on screen.


Primitive Methodist magazine  April 1860 page 240-241


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/01/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.