Three Households Primitive Methodist chapel

possible ocation of former Three Households Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1851 contains an account by T Jackson of the re-opening of Three Households Primitive Methodist chapel in the High Wycombe circuit.

The chapel was built of brick with a slate roof, and measured 30' x 27', 10' high to the wall plate.  The redevelopment made it 9' wider and 2' higher, able to accommodate 220 persons. It would help in accommodating the growing Sunday school. 

Sermons at the re-opening on August 3rd 1851 were preached by J Hunt, E Tocock. Mr Hunt also gave £5 towards the cost - as he did with a number of chapels.

On the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 maps for 1876 and 1898 there is no marked Primitive Methodist chapel in the Three Households village.  There is however close by on Deanway, the continuation of Three Households main street in Chalfont St Giles a former Primitive Methodist chapel, now the Deanway United Church (Deanway, Chalfont St Giles HP8 4JH).  Was this the location?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1851 pp. 627 - 628

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.