Thurgoland Yorkshire Prims

Photo:Thurgoland Primitive Methodist Church

Thurgoland Primitive Methodist Church

John Travis

Photo:Thurgoland Primitive Methodist Schoolroom

Thurgoland Primitive Methodist Schoolroom

John Travis

Barnsley Circuit

By John Travis

Now a Joinery Business

School Room Entrance down the steps

 

 

 

editor's note:

In the Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1855 Robert Wordsworth tells us about the laying of the foundation stone of Thurgoland Primitive Methodist chapel.  He describes the village  as small, mountainous but with a growing population expected to grow further. It took 20 years from the early mission to the laying of the chapel foundation stone on July 10 1855 by C Rhodes of Bradford “in the presence of a great number of spectators”

This was followed by tea in the old preaching room and a meeting in the Wesleyan chapel, chaired by Mr Rhodes and addressed by J. Nassau, J. Berry; Miss M. Taylor ; W. Daniels, of Peniston ; R Wordsworth and J. Dyson.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine September 1855 p.560

 

This page was added by John Travis on 07/04/2013.
Comments about this page

The plaque over the door reads Primitive Methodist Chapel Built by Subscription 1855

By John Travis
On 08/04/2013

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.