Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo:Aerial view of chapel taken from the Parish Church Tower

Aerial view of chapel taken from the Parish Church Tower

Photo:1895 Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 1999

1895 Tideswell Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999

Keith Guyler 1999

This chapel was completed in 1893. It closed in the 1960's and the congregation joined the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Fountain Street Tideswell.

In 1845 a Primitive Methodist chapel was built on the site of the old manor house. Later in 1876 it was decided to build a larger chapel but many problems were encountered and it was not until 1893 that a new chapel was finally completed. It had seating for 150.

The existing building was then used by the Sunday school, a youth group and the Tideswell Band used to practice there.

The chapel never had a resident minister but was always part of the Bradwall Circuit. It closed in the 1960's.

In 1999/2000 the chapel was bought and converted into three flats. It remains like that today but still has a special presence on the High Street.

Photos taken May 2012.

OS Map ref:119:152758

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 20/06/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.