Cockermouth; High Sand Went, Cumberland

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Cockermouth; High Sand Went, Cumberland' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Cockermouth; High Sand Went, Cumberland' page
Photo:Ground plan of Cockermouth, High Sand Went PM Chapel from OS 1 to 500 Cumberland LIV 4 22 circa 1860

Ground plan of Cockermouth, High Sand Went PM Chapel from OS 1 to 500 Cumberland LIV 4 22 circa 1860

Grid ref NY121307

By GW Oxley

High Sand Went Chapel was rented from the Wesleyans after they moved to their chapel in Market Place in 1841. The rent was  £10 per annum. In 1851 they bought it outright for £90. There were 150 lettable and 150 free sittings. The Primitives remained in occupation until moving to the chapel in New Street. The building was later used by a congregation of Bretheren and is now a public hall. (DFCM2/145; Griffin, EW, Watchers of a Beacon: The Story of the Keswick and Cockermouth Methodist Circuit)

This page was added by GW Oxley on 02/02/2014.