Wardley Lane (Chorley Road) Primitive Methodist chapel

Swinton

By Christopher Hill

The 1860 opening of Wardley Lane Primitive Methodist chapel in the Manchester third circuit is described by Thomas Jobling in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

"Eight years ago Wardley Lane was missioned by our ministers. The preaching services were carried on for some time in a dwelling house, after which a cellar was obtained at a rent of one shilling per month, and as this became too limited to hold the school and congregation, the cottage above the cellar was taken, which was converted into a preaching room, and the cellar retained as the school room. The cottage and cellar became too small, and the cause was very much crippled for want of better accommodation.

Application was made to the Trustees of the late Duke of Bridgewater, and we obtained a lease, for 999 years, of a very eligible plot of land consisting of 620 square yards, at three halfpence per yard per annum. This being effected we endeavoured to beg the rent of the land, and through the kindness of the Honourable Algernon Egerton, M.P. for South Lancashire, and his brother the Right Honourable the Earl of Ellesmere, the chief rent is to be returned during the life time of the noble earl ; and we flatter ourselves that whoever may be his successors the same liberality will not be reversed.

The chapel is built in the Gothic style. Its length and breadth, including the buttresses, are 40 feet by 35 feet. The corner stone was laid by William Brunskill, Esq., of Manchester, who also presided at the tea meeting held at the conclusion of the opening services, on Saturday, January 28th, 1860. The sermons in connection with the dedication of this sanctuary were preached by Mr. John Read, Mr. Thomas Cain, the Rev. E. Smetham (Wesleyan), and the writer.

The cost of the building is £435, towards which we have raised, by subscriptions and at the opening services, £220. We desire to express our sincere thanks to the Right Honourable the Earl of Ellesmere for the remission of the chief rent ; to the following friends for their liberal donations, viz., Messrs. J. Gibb and Sons, £20 ; Win. Brunskill, Esq., £10 lUs. ; Dan Saul, Esq., £10 ; J. Hodkinson, Esq., £5 ; J. Longshaw, Esq., £5; A. Barnes, Esq., £5; T. Bidyard, Esq., £6 ; Messrs. Bowers and Yates, £5 ; Mrs. Eobinson, £5 ; Mr. Jonathan Gerrard and his mother-in-law, £G 10s. ; Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Healey, £G 10s.; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Healey, £5; and to all others who have come forward to our assistance. Nor would we overlook the kindness in this movement of our long-tried friends Mr. and Mrs. Ford, nor forget to mention that the success of Wardley Lane society has been greatly promoted by the labours and perseverance of our esteemed brother Isaac Healey. To God be all the praise.". 

The chapel became known as Chorley Road Primitive Methodist chapel, Swinton


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1860 April pages 239-240

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/01/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.