Werrington Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Werrington Primitive Methodist chapel

Chapel Lane PE4 6RS

By Christopher Hill

Jubilee chapel at Werrington in the Peterborough mission opened in July 1860 and Rev J Ashworth, one of the preachers, described the celebrations in the Primitive Methodist magazine 

"Werrington, Peterborough Mission.—The opening services of our chapel at this place were commenced on Thursday, July 26th, when a sermon was preached by the Rev. G. Lamb, of London, at three o'clock in the afternoon. At five, a public tea was gratuitously provided by our friends, to which about 300 persons sat down. After tea, an interesting public meeting was held. The chair was occupied by Mr. Hardy, and addresses were delivered by the Revs. G. Lamb, J. Ashworth, R. Jackson, Messrs. W. Pentney, and J. Aitken. The opening services were continued on the two following Sabbaths, when sermons were preached by the Revs. W. Crown, of Wisbeach,  A. Murray (Independent) and  J. Ashworth. The collections, with proceeds of tea, exceeded the sum of £20. The chapel is built of white brick, covered with slate, has a rising gallery, and is considered a very neat building. Its size is 33 feet by 25, and 14 feet from the floor to the ceiling. The whole cost will be about £220, towards which we have already raised more than one third. We have designated the building " Primitive Methodist Jubilee Chapel." That many within its hallowed walls may hear the sound of the Jubilee trumpet, and find glorious liberty through faith in the blood of the Lamb, is the prayer of the writer."

The chapel is stil marked on the 1926 Ordnance Survey map.By 1971 it is marked as a garage. It is still there in 1987 but on Street View in 2009 it has been replaced by up market housing.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine December 1860 pages 736-737

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.