Weston Primitive Methodist chapel, Portland

location of former Weston Primitive Methodist chapel

Weston St, Portland DT5 2DQ

By Christopher Hill

Weston Primitive Methodist chapel was the second Primitive Methodist chapel  on the Isle of Portland. It was opened by J Holroyd (who described the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine) on January 22nd 1860. J Maby gave £20 towards the £110 cost of which £50 was still owed at the time of opening. It seated 130.

It is still marked as Methodist church on Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 maps in 1973.  On Google Street View in March 2009 it is shown in use by a Funeral Director. It retains its date stone over the front door.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1860 page 241

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/01/2018.