Whitton Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Whitton tin tabernacle

Whitton tin tabernacle

Archive photograph

Winterton, North LIncolnshire

By David Leese

The Primitive Methodists were meeting in this small Humberside village in the early part of the nineteenth century, as well as Wesleyans. By the 1851 religious census they reported that they met in a place not exclusively used for worship (location not known.) They reported a morning general congregation of 40 and an evening one of 62. The report was completed by one Henry Richardson leader.

It was not until 1905 that a chapel was erected, a tin chapel, in Chapel Lane, North End, Whitton. The Wesleyans never had a dedicated chapel, and they merged with the Primitives in 1936. The chapel closed in 1995.

From 1905-1932 it was in the Winterton Primitive Methodist circuit, 1932-34 in the Winterton Methodist Circuit, 1934-59 the Scunthorpe and Winterton Methodist circuit, and from 1959 to 1995 in the Scunthorpe Methodist circuit. Thereafter ecumenical services took place in the parish church.

The village is very small, in the 2001 census returning a population of 171.

 

 

 

This page was added by David Leese on 04/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.