Woburn Sands Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Primitive Methodist chapel on Aspley Hill, Woburn Sands

By Christopher Hill

"Woburn Sands, Aylesbury Circuit

A new gallery having been erected in our chapel at this place, the re-opening services were celebrated on Sunday, February 24th, 1861, when Mr. S. Turner preached morning and evening, and Mr. J. Wilson in the afternoon. On the day following at three o'clock, the Rev. S. Cowdy, (Baptist), preached in the Wesleyan chapel ; at half-past four, about 120 friends sat down to an excellent tea in our own chapel ; after which, a public meeting was held, presided over by Mr. J. Hopkins, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. Butler, Underwood, Alcock, Marriott, Wilson, and the writer. The congregations were large, and the donations and collections amounted to £15 1s. 7d.

Samuel Turner"

On the 1881 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map, a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Aspley Hill. It is still marked as a chapel in 1972 but on Google Street View has been converted into a house. The circular carved date stone is still there but the writing has been obliterated. Is this the same chapel or a later one?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1861 pages 305-306

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 09/04/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.