Haslingden; Grane Road Methodist Church, Lancashire

Photo:Christian Messenger 1910

Christian Messenger 1910

Photo:Chapel photographed in the early 1960's

Chapel photographed in the early 1960's

Supplied by Peter Taylor

Photo:Pulpit

Pulpit

Picture supplied by Peter Taylor

By Peter Taylor

The Chapel opened about 1887 and closed in 1956, I have an interesting history of the Cronkshaw family who for many years were the moves and shakers behind much of the work of the Chapel. On closure the congregation joined with Manchester Road Methodist Church, Haslingden.

This page was added by Peter Taylor on 10/04/2013.
Comments about this page

The first record of Primitive Methodism in Haslingden appears in the year 1824, when the society was second on the plan of the Blackburn circuit. It had 60 members, and services were held in what had been a stable and hayloft in Burgess Nook. 

With an increasing membership, the first chapel was built in Deardengate, at a cost of £300, and opened in 1831. Some years later the roof was taken off, the walls raised, and a gallery put in. A cottage was also built at the back of the church for the preacher's residence. 

In 1837 Haslingden circuit was formed with 246 members, but a great depression in trade the following year caused the loss of 60 members who moved away in search of work. The society also struggled during the 1860s, when it was weakened by a secession in 1862. However, in 1870 it had 100 members. 

The Grane Road Chapel was completed in 1880, and opened by Dr Jenkinson, the Wesleyan Methodist President. The total cost, including the land, was £6,200. In the first two decades of the 20th century, £1,800 was spent on the organ, heating, re-lighting and other improvements.

By Jill Barber
On 02/11/2014

This page was modified on 21 June 2017 to add transcriptions of a series articles about the chapel published in the early 1900's.

The first two relate to before and after a grand bazaar held in 1901 to eliminate the debt on the chapel. The third contains a history of Primitive Methodism in Haslingden and the building of the Grand Road Chapel.

The fourth document contains memories of Thomas Whittaker about the chapel and is rich with the names of those who attended when the chapel was built, including who played which instruments in the orchestra.

The articles were originally transcribed by Jack Whittaker as part of a family history document about the Cronkshaw family. This has been made available by Peter Taylor.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 21/06/2017

Although the articles on this page describe the first Haslingden Primitive Methodist chapel as being opened in 1831, there is an article in the Primitive Methodist magazine for 1829 (page 66) which describes the opening of Haslingden Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday 28th September 1828.

The account was written by J Spencer; he tells us that the opening sermons were preached by Brother J Davison and Sister H M Knowles. 

The new chapel measured 29'(w) x 39'(l). At the opening there was bad weather but several friends from around the Circuit attended. Brother Spencer believed that everlasting good was done.

Such reports rarely give location detail; neither does this one.

By Christopher Hill
On 06/09/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.