Nancledra PM Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Nancledra PM Chapel' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Nancledra PM Chapel' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Nancledra PM Chapel' page

Cornwall

By Rachel Larkinson

Nancledra (Hill) is situated on the B3311 road from Penzance to St Ives in a rather isolated position about half a mile up a hill from the village itself.  The date stone shows it was opened in 1855 and according to Primitive Methodism in Cornwall by J.C.C. Probert, the chapel was 20 ft. long and 15 ft wide seated nearly 100.  The society expanded and in 1859 the chapel was lengthened by 14 ft and a gallery 4 seats deep was added, as well as the porch.  A wooden floor was put in, the interior was decorated and the walls boarded as high as the pews.  Although quite a lot of money was spent on repairs in the years after the second world war, including the installation of electricity in 1957, the chapel closed in 1963 and the congregation united with the ex-Wesleyan congregation in the village.  Thanks to Rev Tony Barnes, who gave the directions which enabled us to find the building, which is still standing.


This page was added by Rachel Larkinson on 18/04/2013.
Comments about this page

In the Primitive Methodist magazine for January 1856 (p.44) there is an account by Robert Hartley of the opening of what is called Nancledrea Primitive Methodist chapel. There was a revival in the spring of 1855 when the society grew from 9 to 30 members so that people couldn’t always get in to services which were held in Brother William Rowe’s house.

Mr. William Richards, of Penzance, leased as much land as the society wanted for ninety years, at 2s. 6d. a year and the building cost around £80. By the opening they had raised £32 15s. 11d.

 The foundation stone services were held on 12th of August; and on Sunday, November 4th, 1855, the chapel was opened. Preachers were Robert Hartley, Mrs. Giles and Mr. Giles. On the following day near 100 people shared tea in the chapel. Preachers at the public meeting that followed were  Mr. J. Whitford, Matthews, Kelsell, Pascoe, Giles, Mr. W. Richards and Robert Hartley. "The interest excited was great; the influence attending the services was powerful".

There were special thanks to the Penzance friends for the gift of the chandelier.

By Christopher Hill
On 15/03/2017

In 1859 the chapel was enlarged and improved. It was made 14' longer and a gallery added, a wooden floor installed and the walls half boarded. This and more cost £34 of which £22/17/8 had been raised. I wonder what the floor was before it was boarded - presumably earth or slabs. (Primitive Methodist Magazine August 1859 page 502; writer CT Harris)

By Christopher Hill
On 22/10/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.