Whitby; Church Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:The unused chapel in 1992

The unused chapel in 1992

Keith Guyler

Photo:As a Thai Restaurant, 2013

As a Thai Restaurant, 2013

Bob Robinson

Photo:This plaque can still  be seen inside the restaurant

This plaque can still be seen inside the restaurant

Bob Robinson

Photo:Bust of Hugh Bourne on the right of the top arched stonework

Bust of Hugh Bourne on the right of the top arched stonework

Brian Fisher

Photo:Bust of William Clowes on the left of the top arched stonework

Bust of William Clowes on the left of the top arched stonework

Brian Fisher

3rd Chapel, built 1903, thanks to 'devoted women'

The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Church Street was built in 1821, at a cost of £1,000. A Sunday School was added in 1835. 

It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1841. In 1890 this Chapel was described as 'a plain, barn-like building, with sitting accommodation for 650. In it is a neat marble tablet to Sarah Margaret, wife of John Buchannan Esq., who died in 1837.

A third Chapel was built in 1903, presumably on the same site, at a cost of £4,150, and seated 500. The Church closed in 1968, and is now a Thai restaurant.

There is still a plaque inside the restaurant: 'Sacred to the memory of the devoted women who toiled hard and long to obtain funds for the building of this Church'. 

Mrs Clifford
Mrs Gray
Mrs Benson
Mrs Bowron
Mrs Wrightson
Mrs Cariss
Mrs Langley
Mrs Robson
Mrs Oliphant
Mrs Smithson
Mrs Harland
Mrs Anderson
Mrs Frankland
Miss Trowsdale
Miss Langley 

In the former gallery, which has now been made into an upper floor, and is used as a store room, there are some beautiful wall and ceiling paintings. They are very unusual to find in a Chapel, and may date from after it closed. Does anyone know the story of these paintings? 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 26/09/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.