Green Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leominster

Photo:Primitive Methodist Church (Leominster Circuit). June, 1912. Top Row (reading from left to right) : Mr. G. Smith (Leominster), Mr. J. Higgins (Leominster), Mr. W. Hancox (Leominster), Mr. W. Beck (Leominster). Second Row: Miss Roberts (The Hundred), Mr. J. Goodman (Leominster), Mr. W. Russell, Circuit Steward (Pembridge), Mr. J. Watkins (Leominster), Mr. J. Bayley (Leominster), Mr. J Goodman (Shirlheath), Mr. C. Ford (Stockton). Mr. W. Smith (Leominster), Mr. P. Owens (Leominster), Mr. T. Russel (Pembridge), Mr. W. Goodwin (Pembridge), Mr. T. Williams (Leominster), Miss. Dowding (Leominster). Bottom Row: Mr. A Anderson (Leominster), Mr. W. Powell (Leominster), Mr. S. Kimbery (Leominster), Rev. T. A. Kelly (Superintendant Minister), Mr. W. Harris (Upper Hill), Mr. Probert (The Hundred), Mr. E. Cole (Leominster).

Primitive Methodist Church (Leominster Circuit). June, 1912. Top Row (reading from left to right) : Mr. G. Smith (Leominster), Mr. J. Higgins (Leominster), Mr. W. Hancox (Leominster), Mr. W. Beck (Leominster). Second Row: Miss Roberts (The Hundred), Mr. J. Goodman (Leominster), Mr. W. Russell, Circuit Steward (Pembridge), Mr. J. Watkins (Leominster), Mr. J. Bayley (Leominster), Mr. J Goodman (Shirlheath), Mr. C. Ford (Stockton). Mr. W. Smith (Leominster), Mr. P. Owens (Leominster), Mr. T. Russel (Pembridge), Mr. W. Goodwin (Pembridge), Mr. T. Williams (Leominster), Miss. Dowding (Leominster). Bottom Row: Mr. A Anderson (Leominster), Mr. W. Powell (Leominster), Mr. S. Kimbery (Leominster), Rev. T. A. Kelly (Superintendant Minister), Mr. W. Harris (Upper Hill), Mr. Probert (The Hundred), Mr. E. Cole (Leominster).

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Green Lane Primitive Methodist Chapel, Leominster' page

Keith Guyler, 1993

Richard Beck

Open air services began in 1821, when the first Primitive Methodist missionary arrived in Leominster and began to preach in Corn Square.  Mr Lloyd faced strong objection, and was moved on by Dr Lewis, the bailiff, to Bargates. This may have been Samuel Lloyd, one of the earliest PM itinerant preachers who was at Hopton Bank in 1825.

Mr Lloyd stayed in Leominster, and a class was formed in 1822.

A room was rented where services were held, and the first ‘society’ or church was etablished in 1825. The Primitive Methodists held meetings in many different buildings around the town, including houses in New Street and Burgess Street, a room in Bridge Street and an old building in Broad Street thought to be on the site of the old Corn Market.

In 1839, the first chapel was built in Green Lane, which became known as the Green Lane Room. 

A Sunday School began in 1852, and by 1871 there were six teachers and 30 pupils.  (By 1912 there were 102 scholars and 20 teachers).

The old chapel was now too small for the growing congregation, and it was decided to build a larger one next door.

The new chapel was opened in 1873, and cost over £400. 

Later the inside of the chapel was renovated, to create more space inside. The side aisles were removed and a wide central one made, and the choir stalls were removed and a platform built.

In the early 1990s a large brick porch the width of the original building was added, which can be seen in the photograph taken in 1993.

OS grid ref: SO 4937 5915.


Sources

Herefordshire Through Time

This page was added by Jill Barber on 01/10/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.