Collington Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Collington Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Collington Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Collington Wall Plaque

Collington Wall Plaque

R Beck

Directly on east side of B 4214. Collington Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 64582 61105

 

Currently in 2013 the building is used for domestic purposes.

The wall plaque is weathered and gives the date as 1840 or 49.

Believed to have closed pre 1940. 

 

To the north of Lowerfield House is a building which is marked on the 1st Edition OS map as a Primitive Methodist Chapel.  (Herefordshire Through Time)  

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 39. COLLINGTON. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. 

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 45. COLLINGTON. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

 

On the 1889 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1904-5 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1972 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is not marked as a chapel.

The above maps may be viewed at  Old Maps

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940. – not recorded in Birmingham circuit but may be in Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury. Therefore closure possibly pre 1940.

 

 

This page was added by Richard Beck on 27/10/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.