Adley Moor Primitive Methodist Chapel (relocated to Leinthall Starkes)

Site location of former Adley Moor PM chapel

Bucton & Coxall Civil Parish, Herefordshire

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 37378 74414 

In 2013 there is no trace of the site of this chapel. In 1882-3 the building was sanctioned by the Primitive Methodist Connexion West Midland District Building Committee, and also building of a school room at Walford near by. In 1920 the Iron Building from Adley Moor was removed to Leinthall Starkes.

 

Herefordshire Through Time monument search web site states :- A green corrugated iron Methodist chapel built in 1884. It was sold in 1920 and moved to Leinthall Starkes and again sold in 1983 to the Tynddol Youth Centre.  Both the chapel and the church at Buckton (see HSM 30629) may have been bought from William Cooper at 761 Old Kent Road, London, a mail order firm dealing with corrugated iron ecclesiastical buildings.

 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1884.

 

On the 1885 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1903 OS Shropshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.  

This page was added by Richard Beck on 05/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.