Presteigne (Warden View) 1861 Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Presteigne (Warden View) 1861 Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Presteigne (Warden View) 1861 Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Presteigne (Warden View) PM Chapel wall plaque stones

Presteigne (Warden View) PM Chapel wall plaque stones

R Beck - click on photo to enlarge

Photo:Presteigne (Warden View) 1861 Primitive Methodist Chapel

Presteigne (Warden View) 1861 Primitive Methodist Chapel

Keith Guyler 1993

Photo:postmark 1909

postmark 1909

postcard belonging to Steven Wild

Location of Presteigne (Warden View) PM Chapel

On North West end of High Street, Presteigne, (Radnorshire) Powys

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 31266 64618 

In the mid 1820’s a society of 40-50 members was formed at Presteigne, by missionaries from the Darlaston circuit. 

The town of Presteigne is surrounded on three sides by Herefordshire. It was the county town of Radnorshire when society started, so perhaps it was chosen to allow the outward spread both into North West Herefordshire and East Radnorshire. 

There are details of the opening of the first Chapel in November 1833, but not its location. A Chapel was established in Harper Street, which may have been the first location. It was certified on 10th July 1847 for the solemnization of marriages. 

At some stage it was proposed to relocate. Tenders were requested for the erection of a Primitive Methodist Chapel and School Room in an advertisement in the Hereford Journal Weds 29th June 1859. 

The corner stone was laid on a very stormy and cold Easter Monday 1860, reported in Hereford Times Sat 21st April 1860. 

The wall plaque stones state “ (upper is now blank) – Methodist - Chapel - AD - 1861”. It would appear that the raised lettering “Primitive” in the upper stone has been removed or could have weathered off. The date is 1861, but others have taken it as 1867 due to the numeral style. 

The adjacent hall to the East has a wall plaque with a date of 1888. Thus was the tender 1859 too expensive and the School Room was delayed. 

In 2013 this an active Methodist Church which is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit

      

Historic Wales Listed Building Database Record states: Listed Building Reference: 8921 

Location:- Set back from the street with a walled and railed forecourt.

History :- Dated 1867 (parchment scroll over doorway) and 1888 (hall). Built as Methodist Chapel (1867 inscription), later used as Primitive Methodist Church (1951 OS map). 

Exterior:- Simple Gothic gable end with advanced centre bay. Coursed rubble and freestone dressings, slate roof behind gable parapets with moulded kneelers and bracket eaves. Trefoil-headed lancet to gable over centrepiece flanked by buttresses with set-offs, ball-flower cornice. Y-traceried window over cusped centre doorway, hood moulds, boarded door strapwork hinges. Plain lancets to sides and flanked elevations, lozenge-pattern glazing with stained glass to centre window heads only. Lower gable end in similar style (dated 1888) to church hall on right, Sunday School attached to E end, blocked window in gable over. Stone forecourt walls with pinnacled gatepiers, iron work railings and gate with quatrefoil motif. 

        

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1888. 

     

On the 1889 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive) 

On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive) 

On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Primitive Methodist Church. 

On the 1975 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked Meth Ch. 

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.  

    

Methodist Church, Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District - 211. Presteigne & Kington – Presteigne - Structure, Stone. Seating Accomodation, 195. Type of Seating, P. School Hall, 1. Other Rooms, -. 

These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District -211. Presteigne & Kington. Presteigne (Warden View), Willey, Coombes Moor, New Street (Lyonshall), Pembridge ( High Street), Noke Lane Head.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 27/11/2013.
Comments about this page

The opening of the first Presteign (sic) Primitive Methodist chapel is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1836 (page 318) by John Morton.

The foundation stone for the chapel was laid in July 1834 and the chapel opened on 10/11/1834. Preachers at the opening were Brothers Grieve and Powell.

The new chapel measured 21' (w) x 33' (l), but all the congregation could not fit in so within two months a gallery was added. The chapel was re-opened on  17/01/1835 when the preachers were Brothers Graham and Leach.

At the time the society were fund-raising for the gallery, a local lawyer complained (but maybe not seriously) that the Prims were ruining his business as there had been no drunkenness or broken heads of late; but he still subscribed towards the gallery. 

By Christopher Hill
On 06/10/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.