Brightlingsea Primitive Methodist Chapel, Essex

'Gooseberry Chapel'

By Jill Barber

The first chapel in Brightlingsea was replaced by a larger building in Ladysmith Avenue in 1902.

Opened during the year that Edward VII was crowned, the church was nicknamed 'Coronation church'. However, it was apparently always known by local people as the 'Gooseberry Chapel', because one of the members sold gooseberries to raise money for the building.

Unfortunately, the chapel was built over underground springs and subsidence meant that the church members were continually raising funds for structural repairs.

The 'Gooseberry Chapel' closed after Methodist Union in 1932, when the Prims joined the Wesleyans in their premises in Chapel Road.

Source

Bill Francis, Cheltenham, Methodist Recorder, 31 May 2013

This page was added by Jill Barber on 09/12/2013.
Comments about this page

This chapel is also referenced on our Message Board - see the message from David Tonks dated 11 October 2012.

By Geoff Dickinson
On 10/12/2013

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.