Hereford - Clifford Street Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Hereford - Clifford Street Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014

Hereford - Clifford Street Primitive Methodist Chapel 2014

R Beck

Location of Clifford Street PM Chapel

North East end of Clifford Street, Hereford

By Richard Beck

Location  GR - SO 49858 40264

 

The foundation stone was laid by the Rev. G Mitchell on Thursday 26 Sept.1867. The site was given by Mr William Hughes. The builder was Mr Davis of Bartonsham, who had been awarded the contract for £150, with the building due for completion by the end of November 1867. The building was to be 26 feet long by 21 feet wide, of plain brickwork with Bath stone facings over the door and front windows.

A full account may be found in the Hereford Journal 28 Sept. 1867.

The Chapel would later close upon the opening in 1902 of the larger Chandos Street Chapel (300 sittings) which lay very near by. In 2014 the building is two dwellings, the left hand one is called ‘The Old Chapel’.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site has no results.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 64. HEREFORD St. Owen. A Primitive Methodist chapel in St. Owen street, erected in 1880, with 600 sittings, and another in Clifford street, built in 1867, with 150 sittings.

 

On the 1886 Town Plans – Hereford 1:500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive) (Seats for 100).

On the 1888 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive).

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is not marked as a place of worship.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps.

 

Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District - . – not recorded

This page was added by Richard Beck on 14/01/2014.