Cally Methodist

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Cally Methodist' page
Photo:1970 Islington Caledonian Road Primitive Methodist chapel

1970 Islington Caledonian Road Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1994

By Phil Brown

Caledonian Road Church, in the Islington & Camden Mission Circuit, present since 1870 near what was then the Metropolitan Cattle Market, even if "a shadow of its former self", still has both morning and evening services, a keen and dedicated, if small, membership and tries to maintain a Methodist presence and witness in the area.

This page was added by Phil Brown on 12/02/2014.
Comments about this page

Victoria County History, London, 1985 (accessed through British History Online on March 4th 2017  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp101-115#h3-0005) gives more detail.

Prior to the building of the Caledonian Road chapel, the Primitive Methodists rented Market Street hall in Market Street, Caledonian Road from 1860, St. George's hall, Richmond Road, 1863, then a hall in Hemingford Street.

In 1903 the attendance was 95 in the morning and 251 in the evening. The chapel became Caledonian Road Methodist church in 1932 and was restored and reopened in 1953.  It seated 375 in 1955 and 250 in 1972. Funds were raised in 1980 to clean the exterior, revealing the fine Italianate building of buff and red brick.

By Christopher Hill
On 04/03/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.