Mold, North Wales

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Mold, North Wales' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Mold, North Wales' page

and nearby places in the early Chester Circuit

By David Young

The 1851 religious census lists a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1838 in Mold, with a congregation that day of 60 plus 37 Sunday School scholars. The congregation had recently fallen off due to lack of local employment, but the coal industry developed in the area in the 1850s. The chapel in the photograph was built in 1872.

The map shows preaching places in North Wales in the 1820s and 1830s in the Chester Circuit, which was formed in 1825. More southerly parts of North Wales were missioned from the Prees Green and Oswestry circuits.

This page was added by David Young on 01/03/2014.
Comments about this page

According to notes at the County Record Office in Hawarden, services were held in a cotton mill and in the town hall in 1869, and the chapel was opened in 1873. (There sometimes seems to be a year's discrepancy in the dates of chapel openings, and it may refer to stone laying and formal opening.) The society ceased to meet in 1958, and remaining members joined the ex-Wesleyans in Wrexham Street.

By David Young
On 04/11/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.