Aberavon; Bethel Primitive Methodist

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Aberavon; Bethel Primitive Methodist' page

Glamorgan

Port Talbot Historical Society

Bethel was a Primitive Methodist church; the cause began in 1841 when a private house on Cwmavon Road, Aberavon was used for worship, which was replaced by a chapel on Wern Street in 1851. A new chapel on High Street, Bethel, was opened in 1900. In 1963 Bethel was demolished to make way for the new motorway through Port Talbot.

Archives Network Wales

This page was added by Lynne Rees on 02/03/2014.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1852 contains an account by Joseph Hibbs of the opening of the 1851 Aberavon Primitive Methodist chapel. Aberavon was re-missioned in 1849 and attendances were more than the house initially used for meetings could hold.  The society at some expense twice lost sites for a new chapel before signing a 94 year lease on a third.

Opening services and tea meetings were held from Friday October 24th 1851. "Practical, pointed and convincing" preachers included Rev T Hobson (Bath), Rev D Davies (Baptist, Swansea), Rev J Best (Tredegar) and Rev GP Evans. The preaching bore fruit.

The chapel was 39' x 29' and 20' high, well ventilated, built of best quality stone and slate and had a good boarded floor. The cost was expected to be £170 when completed of which £60 had been promised.

The society expected to grow "as the English population is increasing very much" and a Sunday school would be commenced as soon as possible

Reference:

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1852 pp112-113

By Christopher Hill
On 27/01/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.