Primitive Methodism around Tamworth

By Michael Green

Primitive Methodism’s pathways to Tamworth are quite clear. They were via Burton on Trent and Lichfield. As a result of missioning from Burton, a society was established in Edingale, a small village some 4 miles from Tamworth, in 1823. In the years following, other villages around Tamworth particularly to the north were missioned from Burton and societies established with varying degrees of permanence. After Lichfield became a circuit in 1837, efforts were made to mission other villages and the town itself but with out any lasting success apart from at Glascote. By the time Tamworth became a circuit in 1869 it consisted of just two societies in the neighbourhood of Tamworth and these were those at Glascote and Edingale.

Thereafter, almost every village around Tamworth was missioned and some not for the first time and, eventually, there were five societies with their own chapels – Glascote, Amington, Birchmoor, Alvecote and Warton.  Follow the links for the story of these from the formation of the societies until their sad closure. In four cases this was long after the societies had become plain “Methodists” and the chapels remained a tribute to those of faith who had founded the societies and erected the buildings.

(The above and the accounts of the five chapels are taken from the author’s “Primitive Methodism around Tamworth”. Copies of the book can be obtained by writing to him at 7A Victoria Road Tamworth B79 7HS enclosing cheque for £9.99 which includes P & P)

This page was added by Jill Barber on 05/03/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.