Norristhorpe (Ebenezer) PM Chapel, Yorkshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Norristhorpe (Ebenezer) PM Chapel, Yorkshire' page

www.churches-uk-ireland.org

The 'Rubbing Board Chapel'

As early as 1855 there were references in the minutes of the Dewsbury PM circuit to occasional services being held at 'Doghouse' or Norristhorpe, a village near Heckmondwike, on the A62 between Huddersfield and Leeds. Services were held regularly in a cottage at Balm Fields from September 1883 within the Heckmondwike (Batley Road) circuit. A 'tin' tabernacle' made of corrugated iron and therefore known locally as the 'Rubbing Board Chapel' was bought from a PM society in London and brought to Norristhorpe in 1887. In 1906 this was replaced on the same site by a stone built church which was known as 'Ebenezer'.

The church closed in 2004, at which time it was in the Birstall and Spen circuit. It has now been converted into a house.

Source

Information from Dr Gordon Terry (2006). See also G Terry, 'The Rubbing Board Chapel at Norristhorpe', typescript (copy at Englesea Brook Museum). 

A teaplate from Norristhorpe PM Chapel is in the collection at Englesea Brook Museum  [ENBPM:1994.083]

 

This page was added by Jill Barber on 27/04/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.