Coleorton Primitive Methodist chapel and church

Photo:Coleorton chapel 1839

Coleorton chapel 1839

Chris Hill

Photo:Coleorton PM church 1901

Coleorton PM church 1901

Chris Hill

Photo:Coleorton PM church 1901 foundation stones: James Richards; G Fowkes; N Fowkes; Miss Gregory; Mrs J Bradford; H Hull; W Rowell

Coleorton PM church 1901 foundation stones: James Richards; G Fowkes; N Fowkes; Miss Gregory; Mrs J Bradford; H Hull; W Rowell

Chris Hill

Photo:Coleorton PM church 1901 foundation stone

Coleorton PM church 1901 foundation stone

Chris Hill

Lower Moor Road, Coleorton Leicestershire LE67 8FN

By Christopher Hill

Coleorton (formerly Cold Overton) has two former PM buildings next to each other which in March 2014 are both being converted to houses.  The older building is dated 1839 but by the later part of the 19th century it was becoming too small and a new, larger chapel was built alongside it which opened in 1901. 

Is it significant that carvings on the stone of the earlier building identify it as a PM chapel, whilst the later building calls itself a PM church?

Sir G H Willoughby Beaumont (1828 – 1882) as lord of the manor would not allow non-conformist churches within the parish, so the first chapel was built in what was then part of the neighbouring parish of Thringstone. 

The final services were held in July 2011.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 25/03/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.