Abergavenny; Victoria Street Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monmouthshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Abergavenny; Victoria Street Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monmouthshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Abergavenny; Victoria Street Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monmouthshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Abergavenny; Victoria Street Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monmouthshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Abergavenny; Victoria Street Tabernacle Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monmouthshire' page

This chapel was erected in 1850

The Victoria Street Tabernacle PM Chapel is now used by The Salvation Army. The date of closure by the Methodist Church is unknown. The building is in very good condition and well 'loved'.

Photos taken March 2014

OS Map ref:161:SO296143

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 02/04/2014.
Comments about this page

Thomas William Brown, who trained as a Primitive Methodist Minister at Hartley College was stationed first at Sleaford in 1914, and then served in Abergavenny from 1915-18. His funeral service was held in this chapel in April 1950. His son, Dr Geoffrey Brown, has evidence from documents in Gwent Record Office that Victoria Street was open until at least 1956. These show that: collections were recorded up to 1956; PM deeds for Victoria Street Chapel held up to 1954; New Trustees appointed in 1949; a lease for 21 years was agreed from 25 Dec 1949; after 1956, Victoria Street closed and united with Castle Street (ex-Wesleyan). The Abergavenny Primitive Methodist circuit included chapels at Victoria Street, Rose Cottage (Llantilo Crossenny), Llanddewi Skirrid, Newcastle and Penrhos.

By Jill Barber
On 18/04/2014

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.