Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo:1836 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987

1836 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987

Keith Guyler 1987

Photo:1887 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987.  Notes with the photograph say that the Sunday School was used as the Church since 1987

1887 Kirk Ireton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987. Notes with the photograph say that the Sunday School was used as the Church since 1987

Keith Guyler 1987

There were two chapels here. One built in 1836 and one built in 1876.

The first chapel to be built in Kirk Ireton (photos 1-3) was in 1836. It still stands today opposite the much larger chapel (photos 4-6) built to replace it in 1876. The latter has now been converted into a house whereas the former is now being used for worship again.

Photos taken October 2013

OS Map ref:

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 07/05/2014.
Comments about this page

There's an article by James Shaw in the 1856 Primitive Methodist magazine (September, p.554) about the re-opening of the 1836 chapel after repairs - essentially raising and strengthening the roof. 

It was re-opened on on Sunday, June 29th, 1856, "by our valued mother in Israel, through whose instrumentality scores have been brought to a knowledge of the truth", Mrs. Bembridge, of Mercastion, formerly Mrs. Harrison. The next day a well-attended tea-meeting was held; addresses came from Messrs. L. Wood, S. Dean, L. Mathew, A. Greatorex, and James Shaw. Mr. J. Harris was in the chair.

By Christopher Hill
On 04/04/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.