Swindon; Prospect Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Prospect Place chapel, Swindon

Prospect Place chapel, Swindon

Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary Handbook 1910

Prospect Primitive Methodist chapel, Prospect Place, Swindon SN1 3LB

Prospect Place, Swindon Wiltshire SN1 3LB

By Christopher Hill

Prospect chapel is situated at the top of the hill which joins the old settlement of Swindon with the new town build on the clay vale below to house the works of the Great Western Railway after 1840.  For many years services were held in a cottage until the chapel was erected in 1879.  It was twice enlarged and better school accommodation provided.  It boasted a Band formed in 1908 in order to improve the outdoor mission work. 

In 1910 its vital statistics were recorded in the Brinkworth and Swindon Synod Handbook as:

  • Number of sittings:          420
  • School accommodation:   300
  • Number of members:        108
  • Total cost:                        £2,489
  • Debt:                               £668

The Souvenir and Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon District Synod (April/May 1925) says of Prospect:
“There is nothing spectacular about Prospect.  Solid work has been done.  The contribution to public welfare is neither small nor mean.  In quietness and confidence the Church finds its strength.  Worship is marked by reverence with less outward enthusiasm than in the early days, the congregation is a good one to preach to and the Word received in good and honest hearts shall yield much increase in the coming years.

The building still exists and is used as a church by Assemblies of God (2012).  

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/05/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.