Aspley Guise Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Aspley Guise Primitive Methodist Chapel' page
Photo:Woburn Sands / Aspley Guise Primitive Methodist Chapel

Woburn Sands / Aspley Guise Primitive Methodist Chapel

Keith Guyler 1999

Bedfordshire

By Tim Banks

Aspley Guise is situated on Aspley Hill, part of the Greensand Ridge. This part of the village was known as Hogsty End, later renamed Woburn Sands. It is close to Watling Street and on the Bedford to Bletchley Railway.

 

The first registration of a Primitive Methodist chapel in Aspley Guise was made on 27 November 1849 by Henry Yeates, minister in Newport Pagnell. Other names mentioned are; Benjamin Herbert and William Mayne.

 

The 1851 Religious Census return was made on Sunday 30 March. A return for Aspley Guise PM  was made by James Ford, minister. This stated that the building had been erected in 1849 and had 100 Free Sittings and 60 Other. The General Congregation that day was 70 in the afternoon and 100 in the evening.

 

In The story of Aspley Guise, Joan Christodoulou states that ‘it was two tradesmen, miller Durrant and timber merchant Whitlock who carted all the materials for the new chapel.

 

The former Aspley Guise PM chapel closed in the 1960s and Aspley Hill became part of Buckinghamshire in 1965.

 

Sources and References:

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby

The story of Aspley Guise – Joan Christodoulou

Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website

This page was added by Tim Banks on 28/05/2014.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist Magazine of March 1854 contains an account by John S Brown of the opening of what he calls Woburn Sands Primitive Methodist chapel on January 1st 1854.  Is this the same chapel in the picture above?  

"Three useful sermons" were preached by J Petty of London and on the following day a "very highly respectable tea party" was held.  The chapel "is said to be the the most substantial and the neatest dissenting place of worship for several miles around."

Reference: Primitive Methodist Magazine March 1854 p 177

By Christopher Hill
On 14/10/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.