Wroughton Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Wroughton Primitive Methodist chapel

Wroughton Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod

High Street Wroughton SWINDON SN4 9JX

By Christopher Hill

Primitive Methodists, under the leadership of George Gibbs, were worshipping in a private house in 1851 when on Census Sunday attendance in the afternoon was 80 and in the evening 70.

The souvenir Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod held in 1910 records that:

"The first building was erected about 1853.  In 1880 a new Church was built and in 1904 new Schools.

Number of sittings: 250

School accommodation: 250

Number of members: 32

Total cost: £1,400

Present debt: £469"

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1854 contains an account (probably by Samuel Turner) of the opening of Wroughton Primitive Methodist chapel in the High Street on Sunday October 8th 1854. Sermons were preached by Rev T King of London, Rev R. Breeze (Baptist)  - and the Rev G Eudall preached in the open air as not everyone could get into the chapel. Mr Dobinson preached the following day after the tea meeting which was a key feature of Primitive Methodist chapel openings.

The chapel is still in use (2014).


Reference:

British History online: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=115499#s8 accessed August 2014

 Primitive Methodist magazine November 1854  p.746

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.