Wanborough Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Wanborough Primitive Methodist chapel, Kite Hill

Wanborough Primitive Methodist chapel, Kite Hill

Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod

Wanborough Primiitive Methodist chapel - location not precise

Kite Hill, Wanborough SWINDON SN4 0AW

By Christopher Hill

In 1829 Thomas Smith was permitted to use his house as a place of worship for Methodists, apparently of the Primitive connexion. In the same year there were 150 members.

The souvenir Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod held in 1910 records that:

"For about 20 years the services were held in the present building, formerly Baptist, which was then rented.  In 1882 the property was purchased and several improvements made, and in 1905 a new Schoolroom was erected adjoining the Church

Number of sittings: 140

School accommodation: 100

Number of members: 16

Total cost: £412

Present debt: £40"

The rented chapel referred to was Adullam Chapel in Kite Hill (Lower Wanborough) which had been opened by Particular Baptists in 1856. It was eventually demolished in 1965. 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.