Upper Stratton Primitive Methodist Church

Photo:Upper Stratton Primitive Methodist chapel

Upper Stratton Primitive Methodist chapel

Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod

Former Upper Stratton Primitive Methodist chapel

Beechcroft Road, Swindon SN2 7RD

By Christopher Hill

The souvenir Official Handbook of the Brinkworth and Swindon Centenary District Synod held in 1910 records that:

"An iron structure was erected in 1890 which soon became too small and was sold. A new site was secured and in 1907 the present building erected with sufficient land for a new Church when the opportunity arrives.

Number of sittings: 200

Number of members: 32

Total cost: £497

Present debt: £130"

The opportunity never arose and in July 2012 the land in front of the building is shown as a used car lot (Google street view).   Thechapel is still active as the Church of God of Prophesy.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.